Strads and other good fiddles

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Wed Apr 10 01:50 MDT 2002

Had the pleasure of hearing four 18th century violins at a concert at
Univ of South Dakota.
    In the second half of the program Eugene Fodor played all four in
the Vivaldi's Four Seasons, "the youngest first" in "Spring" to the
oldest played in "Winter".     Interesting concept and comparison. The
two Strads were the Harrison (1693) from the Shrine to Music Museum on
the USD campus, and the Jackson (1714) on loan to the show.    The two
other violins were, quoting from the program notes, "The 'Fodor' by
Guiseppe Guarneri del Gesu (1740), and the 'Sloan' by del Gesu
(1742)."  Fodor referred to them as "deljesu" (he said it real fast)
and described them in words similar to "something to die for".
     The Strads had a darker more mellow tone, I thought rich, while
the Del Gesu seemed "brighter"  but still toward rich.  I thought each
(name) had its own character.   However both sounded "bright" in the
upper resigers.  I wonder If I could pick them out in a blind
listening?   I think so.
    The Sloan was perfect for "Spring", the Fodor great for "Summer",
the Jackson fitted "Autumn" and the Harrison put a mellow warmth of
the fireside to "Winter".
    Not being a violinist I wondered what players or violin
technicians would have said.
Someone said the program was recorded but no details were given.
---==ric