Baldwin SD-10 with a lot of strings breakage in the treble

Jean-Marc Beauchamp beautrem@globetrotter.net
Wed Apr 10 05:33 MDT 2002

Dear group,

I am the piano tech at the Université de Montréal. The faculty has 125
pianos and one of them a Baldwin SD-10 which is 27 years old is a very
sensitive piano for string breakage in the treble (from string gage 15 and
up, around G6). This piano is in a small recital room. Almost every two
weeks or so I have to replace one or two strings. This piano was rebuilt in
1991 by a very good rebuilder. I know this piano since 1995. The action is
in good regulation and have Abel hammers (which need to be reshaped or
replaced). I would like to have some feedback on this problem. I checked the
capo system which is characteristic to Baldwin (hard greyish metal attached
to the capo with allen screws), especially the place where the strings pass
under and the surface seem smooth and round (because all the strings break
under the capo exactly in this round aera).

Iwould like to know if any of you have encounter this problem and if you
found a cure (solution) for this illness.

Thanking you in advance for your replies,

Jean-Marc Beauchamp, RPT
piano tech, Université de Montréal