tapping strings

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat Apr 6 16:23 MST 2002

>Well, lets see here now... if the string grooves are caused in the fashion you
>propose, to the degree you propose, rendering string seating absolutely
>useless in
>every situation.... then shaving the cap to just completely remove the
>grooves will
>change the angle.... because string grooves as you describe them are
>exclusively
>cut at a steeper angle then the strings natural angle. If not then seating
>becomes
>a valid procedure as there is necessarily positive bearing at the notch.

And I said "exclusively" when? Why do people tap strings in the first place
if not in an attempt to cure false beats? And what causes false beats? And
if there are no false beats evident to attract string tappers, might it be
that the condition hasn't progresses far enough to be a problem. Go back in
the archives and read this stuff again. I have gone all through this in
great detail already. Or wait for the Journal article.

>The deepest groove I've ever measured (and I haven't measured a lot... just
>some
>more extreme cases out of curiosity) have never been more then a tenth of
a mm.
>more like 0.08 mm.... your results may vary. Given a 1 degree angle this
should
>result in a groove  on the bridge cap of around 4 mm long.... somewhere
>between 1/4
>and 1/3 of a typical caps width... Doesn't sound to unusual to me actually.
>Even
>figuring a half degree yields just over 9 mm....
>
>Just out of curiosity... where did you pick out a figure of 0.015 inch
>(0.38mm)....
>seems wholly unrealistic given the context of the discussion.

Thin air, relating to absolutely nothing.

Ron N