tapping strings

Sat Apr 6 15:19 MST 2002

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >Assuming a 1 degree angle from the bridge to the front termination point you
> >are nearly cutting the angle in half.  A 50 mm string set at a 1 degree angle
> >gives a height of 0.87 mm.  Lowering it by 0.38 mm is quite a bit actually....
> >considering that wire guage 13 (typical for this area og the scale) is only
> >0.031 inches or roughly 0.78 mm You've got that string buried so deep into the
> >bridge you probably would have trouble digging it out.  I dunno about you
> but I
> >cant remember the last time I saw a string groove that is equivalant to half
> >the diameter of a string. :)
>
> And the point is.... Don't worry about it. If you dress the bridge cap down
> to the bottom of the string grooves, you haven't changed the angle a bit
> from what you measured before teardown. Unless you go deeper than the
> string grooves.

Well, lets see here now... if the string grooves are caused in the fashion you
propose, to the degree you propose, rendering string seating absolutely useless in
every situation.... then shaving the cap to just completely remove the grooves will
change the angle.... because string grooves as you describe them are exclusively
cut at a steeper angle then the strings natural angle. If not then seating becomes
a valid procedure as there is necessarily positive bearing at the notch.

The deepest groove I've ever measured (and I haven't measured a lot... just some
more extreme cases out of curiosity) have never been more then a tenth of a mm.
more like 0.08 mm.... your results may vary. Given a 1 degree angle this should
result in a groove  on the bridge cap of around 4 mm long.... somewhere between 1/4
and 1/3 of a typical caps width... Doesn't sound to unusual to me actually.  Even
figuring a half degree yields just over 9 mm....

Just out of curiosity... where did you pick out a figure of 0.015 inch (0.38mm)....
seems wholly unrealistic given the context of the discussion.

> Ron N

Cheers !

RicB
--