tapping strings

Thu Apr 4 10:44 MST 2002

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> I've never seen any evidence whatsoever of a piano with
> positive bearing with the string being held up off of the cap, touching
> only the pins. If this is supposed to be so common, why doesn't seating at
> the center of the bridge have the same effect as seating at the bridge pin?
> It doesn't, you know. Because the string isn't up off of the bridge. It is,
> of course, possible with vertical bridge pins and negative bearing, but
> tapping that string down won't make it sound any better.

But Ron... this is simply not true. I have checked this on numerous occassions
since first reading your posts on this matter. It is certainly possible for there
to be positive down bearing and have the string up the pin. And one certainly can
seat the string by tapping in the middle, presumably because it doenst take much
of a "jar" on the string to get it to release down the pin. That is exactly why,
to my understanding, that string seating should be done (when applicable) in the
middle of the bridge. Tapping at the pins will also push the string down, but one
risks overdoing it more then if you tap in the center.

Same basic result... in the case of positive bearing and string up the pin. I've
seen it plenty of times.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.