I ask again, was Re: tapping strings

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu Apr 4 10:39 MST 2002

>  I still have not read the answer to my basic question: how often should
> strings be tapped, or seated, on the bridge?
>
> Wim

Once, when the piano is strung, and then only to make the bends around the
various bearing points lay straight. Probably never again after that.

During tuning, when you find a beater, press on it at the bridge pin with a
fingernail. If that doesn't cure it, tapping won't either, and you haven't done
damage verifying it. False beats are almost always loose bridge pins, and
seating strings doesn't cure loose bridge pins.

Ron N