how 'bout it??

Ted Sambell esambell@telusplanet.net
Tue Apr 2 18:43 MST 2002

Several years ago at the Banff Centre, my colleague Denis Brassard and
myself modified the lyre braces on some of the frequently moved Steinways so
that they were always snug. The method was to cut about 1-3/4" of the square
part at the tops off and shorten them by 1/4". Next, a hole in each was
bored, centered in the cut end, and a short length of 1/4" threaded rod
inserted. In the long part (which still has some of the square section left)
a hole is bored to take a T-nut, which is fitted after filing off the
points. The two sections can now be assembled. Not only does this remove end
play, but the sticks can be put in after the lyre is assembled to the
keybed, a benefit for movers and us when removing the lyre for service. It
is a big plus, but one has to train the movers not to overturn the sticks.
It is only necessary to remove any end play. This is careful work, as there
is not much wood to play with. I have seen some German grands with a design
using brass rod braces that fit at the top end into a threaded brass cup
which is adjusted for a snug fit. One maker was Feurich, and maybe others.
Another modification I have made is for limiting the upward movement of the
damper pedal trap lever. Instead of sundry assorted bits of felt, or a
capstan in the keybed, (which is fussy to get at and often becomes loose) I
bored a hole right through the lever and fitted a length of 3/8" threaded
rod a little way back of the lifting rod nut. A slot for a screwdriver was
cut into the protruding lower end, and a nut added to bind on the underside
of the lever after adjusting to ensure the threaded rod will not turn. The
protruding top end is stopped by a punching glued to the underside of the
keybed. Adjustment is very easy and accessible. The nut is first loosened,
the adjustment made, then the nut is re-tightened. The keybed pitman of
older Steinways can only be described as an astonishing example of
mechanical incompetence. I have modified many on site for over thirty years.
The description is overly long, and can perhaps be left to another time or
venue.

Regards to all, Ted Sambell