Cage Anyone?

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri Jan 26 10:40 MST 2001

Don't know the piece, and both copies are checked out from our library,
but I'll guess what is referred to is "chisel on the strings" where,
while the string is either played with the key or plucked, a metal
implement is slid up and/or down the string, somewhat like slide guitar
in country music. This effect is used in Voice of the Whale, and when I
have performed it, I have used a piece of 1/2 in x 1/18 in brass stock,
about 10 inches long, which I sharpened/rounded on both ends. Works very
well. Slides better than steel (somewhat lubricious). "Under the top of
the overstrung section" sounds problematic. I guess you could go some
small distance under.
	Depending what is required, a limited range of piano models may make
that possible. Many Kawais and Yamahas, for example, have a plate strut
parallel to the keyboard right beyond the dampers, which gets in the way
of many inside the piano effects. And exactly where the bass/tenor break
is can be critical. In my experience, Cage is less than specific in what
he asks for, unlike Crumb.
	I have a Steinway M I designate for inside the piano performance in
most cases.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New mexico