Kissin Review/concert prep

edwardsn@rpa.net edwardsn@rpa.net
Sat Jan 6 06:03 MST 2001

Quoting Fred Sturm <fssturm@unm.edu>:

> 	And it is difficult to over-emphasize the role of extraordinarily fine
> damper adjustment. It's not just a matter of "half-pedal" versus
> "full-pedal." There are many gradations from a bare lift (dampers
> really
> still in contact with strings, but not bearing down: bleeding), to wide
> open.

I'd like to add one point I learned from an Eastman Professor here in town:
The farther away from the strings you can get the dampers when you are wide
open the more ring you will get out of the piano.  It is amazing how much sound
they can absorb if they are close to the strings but not touching.

Rob Edwardsen
Rochester, NY