Kissin Review/concert prep

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Fri Jan 5 13:12 MST 2001

Fred,

This is great!  I don't think you lost focus in the slightest.  All of
these things are important components in the relative "transparency" of a
given instrument.

Your comments on dampers are dead on.  This is something which is
all-too-often overlooked.  Dampers are scary, just by their very
nature.  Keeping them well regulated is, perhaps, even more difficult than
setting them up to begin with.  Of the different classes I have seen from
S&S in recent years, the hands-down best is the damper class that Scott
Jones used to teach.  Even there, the lack of consistency of manufacture
took him a while to build constructively into the presentation.

Part of the problem, too, is that, even after one turns one's self into a
pretzel doing all this stuff, the number of performers who can actually
take advantage of the work is very small.  This is one advantage to doing
college/university work, as the relative percentage of folks who can
perceive and make use of the differences is arguably larger than in the
public at large...definitely helps one stay focused  (to steal a phrase).

Best.

Horace