turbo-guru speaks

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Tue Sep 19 10:52 MDT 2000

Thanks again Jon, you have my interest, can we wrestle with the subject a
bit more though?

As a critical point, it would seem measuring front weight, strike weight,
installing adjustment screws and (perhaps) moving capstans would be more
(rather than less) complicated than Chris' method.  Afterall, we are merely
removing surplus lead "wholesale" (intuitively nonetheless), "ballparking"
the springs (within 5 or 6g), then trimming with a single lead (slide-scale
fashion).

I've de-leaded before using a "cancel-weight" method.  It is quite accurate,
but certainly more time consuming than the above.

I appreciate your recommendation Jon, and wonder how much time is involved
in your (Stanwood's) approach?

This repair order as you may recall, was a 1963 B, weighing-off well, but
playing poorly, and carrying a whole lot of lead. As the turbo wippen
allowed a return to typical leading, provided ideal DW, UW & F with moderate
spring tension, and a touch consistant with our favourite pianos, I'm
inclined to stick with my original assessment.

My question is whether the (seemingly) large amount of additional work
required by NTM will provide a worthy benefit, beyond what the turbo-
wippens have already provided? I will rough-in the regulation and get this
instrument in-use for awhile. Is it worthwhile to access front weight,
strike weight and action ratio in future?

Understood, I'm asking the subjective Jon, but appreciate your opinion.
Others as well.

BTW, yes the "D" is back in action, or should I say "the action is back in
D?  :>)

Mark Cramer, RPT
Brandon University