turbo-guru speaks

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue Sep 19 18:56 MDT 2000

At 11:54 AM 09/19/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks again Jon, you have my interest, can we wrestle with the subject a
>bit more though?
>
>As a critical point, it would seem measuring front weight, strike weight,
>installing adjustment screws and (perhaps) moving capstans would be more
>(rather than less) complicated than Chris' method.  Afterall, we are
>merely removing surplus lead "wholesale" (intuitively nonetheless),
>"ballparking" the springs (within 5 or 6g), then trimming with a single
>lead (slide-scale fashion).

Ok, for the sake of argument let's say it is about equal in the time
consumption department
but the result is more precise with David's approach. The haphazard,
come-what-may approach to
SW and FW of conventional methods does not deliver the smooth response of
David's technique.

Let's look at the SW,  believe it or not; a smooth, graduated SW has less
voicing discrepancies.
Repetition spring tension on adjacent notes is more even, this translates
to an even resistance
at letoff. If you've ever weighed off a set of hammers you know what I mean
by weight variations.
When dealing with performance pianos, consistency is everything.

And there is something special about the feel of keys which have the FW
graduated on a smooth curve.
Pianists aren't quite sure what it is but know they like it.

>I've de-leaded before using a "cancel-weight" method.  It is quite
>accurate, but certainly more time consuming than the above.
>
>I appreciate your recommendation Jon, and wonder how much time is involved
>in your (Stanwood's) approach?

Graduating the SW may take a few hours. FW releading is done on the bench
without having to
sample weights on individual keys for DW.

Rather than the trial process of hoping to pick the right lead to pop out
and jockey another lead around,
it is more of a recipe. Let's say David's spec FW for a certain key is 25g
and the key weighs off at 32g.
Tare the scale and place a weight on the key to read 7g. Decide which of
the closest leads is the best
candidate for removal, reduces a lot of guess work. After the hole is
plugged a new weight can be installed
to get the key to the desired spec if needed.

Moving capstans is not done on every job, only when called for. The last B
which had the capstans moved
I was able to remove six pounds of lead from the keys with the help of17mm
knuckles and wip assist springs.

>This repair order as you may recall, was a 1963 B, weighing-off well, but
>playing poorly, and carrying a whole lot of lead. As the turbo wippen
>allowed a return to typical leading, provided ideal DW, UW & F with
>moderate spring tension, and a touch consistant with our favourite pianos,
>I'm inclined to stick with my original assessment.
>
>My question is whether the (seemingly) large amount of additional work
>required by NTM will provide a worthy benefit, beyond what the turbo-
>wippens have already provided? I will rough-in the regulation and get this
>instrument in-use for awhile. Is it worthwhile to access front weight,
>strike weight and action ratio in future?

NTM ?  It is worthwhile to assess everything so you know what you have and
to realize what effect
the alterations had or will have.

Regards,
Jon Page