turbo-guru speaks

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Mon Sep 18 20:41 MDT 2000

Graduate the hammer Strike Weight and the key Front Weight to spec curves
supplied by David. Key Ratio alteration may also be needed (moving capstans).

Pre-tension the assist springs to just support the wippen while installing.

Then by adjusting the assist spring tensioning screw, to produce the desired
Balance Weight, it takes about 45 minutes for the keyboard.

I also remove the dog-leg from the butterfly spring with a pair of wire bending
pliers made from lineman pliers. In one operation it introduces a nice curve to
the wire which rides the Teflon nut and places the contact point more towards
the front of the wip giving a longer spring arm.

Jon Page

At 07:05 PM 09/18/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Care to share with the class Jon?
>
>Mark
>David Stanwood has a much better approach to releading with assist springs
>with the benefit of being inertially more balanced.
>I've been applying his technique for eight years and the method explained
>below seems much more complicated.
>Jon Page

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.