Yamaha problem

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 13 21:52 MDT 2000

Hi Avery,
               Some of the older Yamaha bushing clips suffer from metal
fatigue and bend. Don't try bending them unless you have a spare. OOPS!
darn. How do I know. OOPS.
The left hand bushing takes a beating over time, most often just rebushing
the clip solves the problem.
There is a screw with a rubber foot on the action frame,at the treble break
that rest against the plate web. If the rubber is fattened so you can flex
the action rail inward, readjust or replace as this will increase stress on
the bushing if loose.
Make sure the bass keybed nosebolt is keeping the action secure.  The
action may be moving before the damper starts to lift.
Regards Roger

At 07:42 AM 13/09/00 -0500, you wrote:
>List,
>
>   I have one of our U1D's (1972) in the shop right
>now and have a problem I haven't, as yet, been able
>to figure out. So, thought I might get some help
>here. :-)
>   The problem is that the damper lift with the pedal
>is like a hanger is broken on the rod, i.e. the dampers
>from the lower middle of the bass up to the lower tenor
>area hardly lift at all. The remaining ones lift fairly
>well, even though not quite evenly. The bichords hardly
>even move. What throws me, is that with the action out
>of the piano and lifting the pedal rod by hand, they all
>lift pretty evenly!
>   I did notice that the bass end is not seated real well.
>There is a very slight movement and a slight noise when I
>"wiggle" the bottom of the bracket with my hand. It seems
>to be minimal though and I will be adjusting it. But it
>doesn't seem like that would be enough to cause the
>problem.
>   What am I missing? Is there something flexing somewhere
>that could be causing this? This is one of those actions
>with only 2 action brackets, bass and treble.
>   I really DON'T want to do a damper wire bending job and
>then discover the problem later and have to redo it!! :-)
>   Any ideas? Thanks.
>
>Avery

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.