Turbo-whipping!

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Mon Sep 11 12:27 MDT 2000

Thanks Hans,
I agree, this was my first approach.  Nonetheless, the Renner diagram
indicates using needle-nosed pliers on the "business end" of the spring.
Though reluctant to do this, fine adjustment is ultimately made with the
wippens in place, and there's not much room to work.

Does the method you describe apply to wippens "on the rail," or just for
pre-regulation as Jon has described?

Thanks for your assistance,

Mark Cramer, RPT

BTW, I'm looking forward to hearing from you too Mr. Bolsius.  Just waiting
till the sun rises on your part of the globe.  :>)

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Hans E.
Sanders
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2000 12:12 PM
To: cramer@BrandonU.CA; caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Turbo-whipping!

We shouldn't make any nice, tidy, intuitive bends. The same principle
applies to the butterfly repetition springs. If you have to increase or
decrease wippen assist springs, the only way is to either tighten or loosen
the coil by tightening or easing the tiny short end of the coils.  A short
screwdriver blade is helpful. I prefer to work with a hollow brass tube, the
hole just slightly larger than the diameter of the springwires diameter. It
fits over the short end of the coil and enables me to do finer adjustments
than with just a screwdriver blade.

Hans Sander, RPT
UofL, School of Music

>>> cramer@BrandonU.CA 09/11/00 12:09PM >>>
Anyone have a favourite method to calibrate wippen assist springs, ie: make
nice, tidy, intuitive bends?

Mark Cramer
Brandon University