Steinway Uprights

Roger C Hayden rchayden2@juno.com
Sun Oct 8 19:30 MDT 2000

I owned a 1098 for many years.  It was my main piano.  I never liked it
until I got into tuning, regulating and voicing.  Then I liked it for a
week or two.  It responded dramatically to humidity, and flag-poling
too-tight tuning pins with no collars make it hard to tune, hard to keep
unisons solid. Always going out of tune from weather . . . .  I'm glad
it's gone.

Yamaha U1 or U3, now there's an upright !!  It is everything the Steinway
wasn't.  Solid, steady, rich, fun, even, responsive, consistent.  Real
performers. There are also some wonderful Kawai (Japanese made) uprights.
 Both for far less money.  I haven't found the American made Yamahas or
Kawai's to be as stable yet, maybe someday.

Roger Hayden, RPT

On Fri, 06 Oct 2000 21:09:35 -0700 Daniel Gurnee <dgurnee@humboldt1.com>
writes:
> Ray Bentley,
>
> I have just serviced an S&S Model 45, Ser 495*** which is an
> excellent
> instrument.
>
> Dan gurnee, RPT
> Eureka, CA
>
> From: "Ray T. Bentley" <Ray@Bentley.net>
> Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 19:01:36 -0500
> To: <caut@ptg.org>
> Subject: Steinway Uprights
>

> Does anyone on the list have an opinion on the current production
> Steinway
> uprights?  I have a client who is considering the purchase of one.
> I don't
> hesitate to recommend their grands, but I've serviced some less than
> desirable uprights from say 30 to 40 years back.  Have they improved
> in
> recent years?
>
> Ray T. Bentley, RPT
> Alton, IL