CAUT "motto" perhaps?

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Fri Oct 6 21:40 MDT 2000

I think Eric Wolfley is absolutely right about attending performances where
our instruments are used.  For many years I have let it be known that I
expect a ticketed seat (usually a pair) for events I serviced in the private
sector.  Usually the management, promoter, house manager, etc., is more than
happy to accommodate the request.  They are glad to know that I care that
much about the event and the piano, and it gives them a feeling of security
that I'm around "just in case".  BTW, it is standard practice for venues to
hold a few seats in reserve in case a VIP shows up at the last minute, or
there's a ticketing screw-up.  Even it it's a "sold out" event, chances are
very good that you can have one of these seats just before curtain time if
you know the house manager.

When I was working full time at the university, of course I got in free to
everything through the stage door.  I attended almost all faculty recitals
out of "professional courtesy".  Most of these were pure pleasure anyway.
But it impresses the faculty folks immensely when you show up for their
trombone recital or percussion ensemble!

Early in my career at SUNY I was asked to write my own job description.
After giving it some consideration, I put in a sentence about attending piano
majors' degree recitals.  No one on the administration committee reviewing
the job descriptions objected.  In fact, again, some were amazed that I might
care so much.  So, I did attend those recitals, while "punched in".  I'd
usually volunteer to handle the curtain or be a stage hand or pass out
programs if the recitalist needed such help.  And I usually put in a brief
appearance at the in-house receptions, met the pianists parents, etc.

I know there are those among us who think that these tokens of personal
support are beyond the call of duty, even detract from much-needed time for
tuning and regulating.  But I considered it all community involvement in the
School of Music.  And I believe it paid off in countless intangible ways and
enhanced the humanity of everyone, especially the piano technician!  (And
what a great way to stay in touch with piano repertoire!)

       -     Tom McNeil     -
Vermont Piano Restorations

<<