Sizing Guide Rail Bushings

Wolfley, Eric (WOLFLEEL) WOLFLEEL@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Thu Jun 22 09:44 MDT 2000

Hi All,

I've used the following method and tool for the past few years and it works
beautifully.

I bought a 40W soldering iron at Big Lots for $1.99, trimmed the bevel off
the tip and swaged (squeezed/pounded) a # 7 bridge pin into the end. Used in
conjunction with a temperature control (I like the one Pianotek sells) you
can iron size the bushings either in or out of the piano. I then give them a
squirt of TFL-50 dry lube. BTW, I've been using the TFL-50 for emergency
easing of damper bushings without removing the action also. You can use the
little tiny spray tube that comes with it to get down between the dampers
and spray the wire (while raised) and the bushing at the same time. I don't
know if it chases moisture out and lubes or whether it just slicks it up
enough, but it sure works great.

Eric

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati