Sizing Guide Rail Bushings

David M. Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Thu Jun 22 09:18 MDT 2000

Avery:

I've not had any trouble with the nails I'm using now, though I must admit they are a little bigger than theoretically ideal.  I've usually found that there is some "bounce back" of the felt after being pressed by the cauls.  Maybe this is because I'm using Protek rather than water and that probably doesn't really "size" them as water would.  Who knows!

On getting them out, most of the Steinways I've done haven't had the bushings glued in so they press out easily with most any blunt instrument. I never glue the new ones back in.  I just use the Steinway guide rail bushing cloth (one of the few things I order directly from S...) and pull it through and cut it off.  Glue seems superfluous.

dave

On 6/22/00 at 9:57 AM Avery Todd wrote:

>To combine two postings into one:
>
>For Newton:
>
>>I like to just press them out, at the drill press, with a
>>transfer punch just smaller than the hole.
>
>This is what I did, except I just used a drill bit slightly
>smaller than the hole.
>
>>I use nails 10 to 20 thou over wire size as cauls when I
>>rebush.  I insert them when the felt is in position.
>
>In other words, you just use compression to size the holes?
>
>>A little protek would be nice but more important is that the
>>wires are highly polished (and clean).
>
>What do you recommend using for this?
>

>And for Dave:
>
>>After bushing the guide rail I put some nails in the rail bushings
>>(I should know what number finishing nails they are, but I'm a lousy
>>carpenter.  They measure 0.101").  I get the bushings pretty wet with
>>Protek and let them sit overnight.  The Protek both sizes and
>>lubricates them.  Typical Steinway Damper wires are about 0.075".
>>This leaves them free but not loose.
>
>These are approximately .072, so the nails should be a little smaller
>than .101"? Compared to what Newton said, this seems a tiny bit too
>big.
>
>Just wondering. Trying to "nail" down the loose ends, so to speak. :-)
>Interesting you both use nails. Thanks guys.
>
>Avery

David M. Porritt
dporritt@swbell.net
Meadows School of the Arts