Sizing Guide Rail Bushings

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Thu Jun 22 08:59 MDT 2000

To combine two postings into one:

For Newton:

>I like to just press them out, at the drill press, with a
>transfer punch just smaller than the hole.

This is what I did, except I just used a drill bit slightly
smaller than the hole.

>I use nails 10 to 20 thou over wire size as cauls when I
>rebush.  I insert them when the felt is in position.

In other words, you just use compression to size the holes?

>A little protek would be nice but more important is that the
>wires are highly polished (and clean).

What do you recommend using for this?

And for Dave:

>After bushing the guide rail I put some nails in the rail bushings
>(I should know what number finishing nails they are, but I'm a lousy
>carpenter.  They measure 0.101").  I get the bushings pretty wet with
>Protek and let them sit overnight.  The Protek both sizes and
>lubricates them.  Typical Steinway Damper wires are about 0.075".
>This leaves them free but not loose.

These are approximately .072, so the nails should be a little smaller
than .101"? Compared to what Newton said, this seems a tiny bit too
big.

Just wondering. Trying to "nail" down the loose ends, so to speak. :-)
Interesting you both use nails. Thanks guys.

Avery