Sizing Guide Rail Bushings

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu Jun 22 08:57 MDT 2000

Avery,
	I saw Brian DeTar demonstrate using a heated wire, chucked in a
soldering iron, similar to the setup Pianotek sells for key easing with
heat (with temp control). Looked like a great idea, though I've never
got around to making one. If I did, I think I'd just take a piece of
round brass stock the right size to fit in the tip, drill a hole in the
end, and hammer in the appropriate size pin (friction fit). I haven't
rebushed a rail in a while, so haven't bothered to do it yet.
	How do you know it's right? One way is to take a straight wire and run
it through each bushing. If it drops easily of its own weight, you're in
good shape (assuming it isn't too sloppy).

Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico