SAMA Information?

Brent.Fischer@ASU.Edu Brent.Fischer@ASU.Edu
Fri Dec 22 20:06 MST 2000

Dear Avery and List,

  This company has sent a number of instruments to the Phoenix dealer that
I am associated with. The Steinway dealer here has a vested interested
in the Sama company and thus I am becoming involved in a consulting
capacity as our interest in their work expands into higher end products.

 The rebuilding facility is impressive, efficient and well laid out, my
general observation is the company has the potential to do higher end work
as the skill sets for the employees grow. The soundboard repairs are
fairly clean and the shimming work is usually excellent. Pinblock
installations are consistent and stringing work is acceptable. The issues
I have with the quality of action, damper, trapwork assemblies, are
part of a second tier of quality I would like to see introduced. At this
time soundboard replacement and major bridge work are not available, in
time they hope to move in that direction. Refinishing has improved vastly
over the past year and considering the price it is amazing how much you get,
however, for a university situation there are components I would like
to see in place before they extend themselves much further into that
market, operations like bridge recapping are mostly a training issue
which would not necessarily increase the price greatly since the labor cost
there is low. For schools with limited funding this company would be
a definate consideration for low-cost, acceptable quality work.

Please feel free to write to me if anyone would like more information.

Brent Fischer
Senior Piano Technician
Arizona State University