New Steinway hammers... was Collodium etc

Sat Dec 11 12:24 MST 1999

Del,

Actually, I think most folks already are converts.  The problem is that,
in today's manufacturing environment, designs are seldom executed to
specification, let alone with wisdom.

That is why work from folks like yourself, Peter Mohr, Chris Robinson,
and a small host of others stands out...you begin with a substantive
commitment to a particular concept, and then agressively and doggedly
work toward its execution, learning from each opus, and applying that
knowledge to the next.

The sad fact is that most technicians do not have adequate exposure to
work done at this level.  Certainly the main US makers have not been
in the business of this kind of production in decades.

While I am not sure that I totally agree with Ron's position that voicing
"becomes mostly unnecessary"; I might agree that that would be the case
in many, if not most, environments.

In any event, the base point is the important one, "if the soundboard
works"...pretty well covers the subject.

Cheers!

Horace