Flexible collodion for voicing hammers

Eric Schandall eric_schandall@telus.net
Sat Dec 11 16:14 MST 1999

Hi All,
If I remember correctly from 4-5 years ago the voicing done in the
Basement at Steinway Hall used a different technique than in the
factory. The factory voicers used water white lacquer and thinner,
avoiding the crown except in the high treble and applying from the
shoulders gradually.
	The C and A department used acetone as the thinner and perhaps the
pellets mentioned by Horace and were more aggressive in application from
the start. As I remember, Scott Jones was trying to have the basement
techniques used more widely in the factory.
	 Would the development of the use of acetone be related to the
different time constraints and the type of work being done in the C and
A Deptartment? If lacquer of one type or another is better than the
plastics is there any reason to avoid using acetone as the thinner?
		Regards,
		Eric Schandall