new Steinway hammers (was Flexible collodion...)

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sat Dec 11 06:55 MST 1999

Hi All,

Dorrie's list is a good one, one that I have picked up over the
years.  One explanation I got was that lacquer was weather resistant,
the hammers don't change from one season to the next.  Maybe so but
lacquer takes weeks and months to get it's permanent hardness.  I
personally do not like that tone but in a university learning
situation I felt I had no choice but to use the same stuff the
students will encounter in the field.  I _do_ have a strong preference
for other hammers.  I am putting a set of Isaac on my S&S 52".

		Newton