stringed instrument lacquer

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sat Dec 11 00:46 MST 1999

Still, that certainly does not mean that one cannot get good results.  I
remember seeing some instruments years ago in a city which shall remain
nameless that had had their hammer hardening done by a solution of plain
white sugar and water.  It worked...sort of.  Produced rather a sweet
sound.  (Sorry - bad joke.  It's still early, and I haven't had my morning

coffee yet.)

Best.

Horace

Well I hope you use plenty of sugar.   If there were a Grammy for the best
sounding piano with "doped" hammers it would have to go to the piano used
in the song from " Grease" freaturing Olivia Newton John,  with the words
"you are the one  that I want" or something like that, or maybe that is
the title.
	That sound reminded me of  a rock group I tuned for (once) (Pablo Cruise)
that had a super bright  Yamaha C1 or C2.   I asked the road manager if
they wanted it voiced.   He said, "hell no"  I took to mean he knew what
voicing was.  I asked him how the hammers got so bright.
He said he soaked them with Elmers glue the last time they were voiced
because the keyboard player complained that they sounded too soft.
   So between sugar and Elmers I guess we have a happy medium.  I would
like think the sugar would give that sparkling sound I heard in that piano
backing up Olivia NJ.  ---ric