Hammer Replacement

Dave Swartz, RPT dms2000@majesticpiano.com
Mon Oct 26 18:56 MST 1998

List,

I'm curious as the longetevity of hammers in your concert/piano major's
pianos.  Two years ago last August I replaced hammers (Abel) with shanks on
one of our Steinway D's.  Incredibly, the hammers are extremely worn and I
feel unacceptable for filing when considering the importance of this
piano's usage.  The instrument is used for student recitals, faculty
recitals, and unfortunately...lessons!

I would think (there I go again) that a new set of hammers should last
longer than 2 years.  Do you find in your institutions this to be the norm?
 Now, I realize that if the piano is used just for concerts, that would be
a different story.  Comments???  Thanks

Dave Swartz, RPT
dms200@majesticpiano.com
Northwestern College, Roseville, MN