Backchecking solution

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 17 07:49 MDT 1998

>In a message dated 6/16/98 4:02:09 PM, you wrote:
>
><<I began to suspect that the geometry of the action might be
>problematic; however, it was only after comparing an original teflon wippen
>with a replacement wippen from Renner that the differences became quite
>obvious.>>
>
>I hate to throw a curve ball here, but....
>
>I have a 1972 S&S D that has Renner shanks and hammers with the original
>teflon wippens.  There has never been a backcheck problem with this piano.
>Food for thought.
>
>Tim Coates
>University of South Dakota

Dear Tim,

I'm glad that you didn't have the same frustrating problem with your piano
that I had with mine. Having said that, the fact still remains that
changing wippens DID correct the geometry issue and the backchecks work now
when they didn't before. Everything else is the same.

This combination of Premium Blue hammers, Renner shanks and flanges (16.2
mm knuckleset) and rebuilt teflon wippens has worked quite well for us here
in the past, but simply didn't work on this piano, for whatever reason.
That is the reality of the situation.

Regards,

Tom

Tom Seay