Capping Material

Michael J. Wathen michael.wathen@uc.edu
Wed Jun 17 07:02 MDT 1998

Harold Conklin was telling me a while back that when he first came to
Baldwin in the early 60's (?) they used boxwood for the top two sections of
the treble bridge cap. It was a real dilemma because the wood was becoming
scarce and expensive. That was the sole reason he recalled for moving to
the vertically laminated bridges that are currently used on Baldwins.

Then I was talking to Cliff Geers about this (Cliff was the chief plant
manager for Baldwin during that same time), I told Cliff that I really
liked the looks of Beech and I was tempted to use it for bridge caps.
Cliff said it is softer than hard maple thus not preferred.

Eric Wolfley says you can't get boxwood at all anymore. He thinks there
might possibly be a substitute that approaches boxwood but is not too well
known.
Michael J. Wathen			For Information about Wapin click on URL below
michael.wathen@uc.edu		http://ucccm56.ccm.uc.edu