Historical in KC

Israel Stein custos3@ix.netcom.com
Sat Dec 12 19:17 MST 1998

At 07:17 PM 12/11/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Ed:
>

>A look at appropriate places to use HTs and how to sell the idea to
>academicians would be good.  We have some class  rooms that have
>multiple pianos.  I suppose I could tune one in an HT, but I think most
>people would just think it to be out of tune.

This is not necessarily true. I tune at a small concert venue in Berkeley,
California, where the owner and primary performer on the piano (who mostly
performs 19th century repertoire) has embraced  non-equal temperaments
wholeheartedly and likes to keep this Baldwin SD-10 in something resembling
a baroque temperament. He appreciates being able to actually hear the
difference between keys. Others who perform on this piano (both classical
and jazz pianists) are divided. Some find the temperament just fine (or at
least acceptable), others insist that it be tuned in equal - and pay for
retuning it to the owner's specifications afterwards.

Israel Stein