(Fwd) Salary survey information request

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 9 11:09 MST 1998

Hi Jeff,
          I would love to know how they would define average?  CAUT techs
are far from average, in fact, with out being an egotist, I would say they
would form the top 10% of techs,
  AS highly skilled trades persons, the minimum that they should get paid
,should be the same as the unionized power electricians on campus, plus
double time for those Sunday concerts. But good luck trying to get it.
  Fortunately I'm on contract, and they know I don't need the income, so
the re numeration is fair with no aggravation.
Just an observation
Roger

At 10:12 AM 09/12/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Ron,
>This year I have been through two hiring processes, one in GA and one in
>SC.  On both occasions I was told by the dean, when discussing salary, that
>apparently someone higher up in the state (they apparently have someone who
>does nothing but this) did some sort of research and determined the salary
>scale for the university piano technician position according to either some
>kind of average or customary salary scale (those exact qualifications he
>mentioned were used in both job descriptions.  The UGA position was
>advertised in the April 98, PT Journal, but the writer of the ad
>incorrectly described the salary as "negotiable" if that tells you
>anything).  I don't know how these folks arrived at their conclusion,
>because in both states there was only one such full-time paid position in
>the whole state.
>
>That's all I was told, but if you need more I can ask the dean how much he
>knows.

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina