(Fwd) Salary survey information request

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Wed Dec 9 12:58 MST 1998

Hi Roger,
"Average" was MY word there, referring to salaries.  I was guessing at how
this state employee might arrive at my salary based on research of other
similar positions.  In both cases, the deans were well aware that (busy)
independent techs gross significantly more than what they were able to
offer.  They use the value of the benefits to offset that somewhat, and I
agree the value is great...it's why I pursued a state position, but I also
know that my family can't eat benefits, or live under them, or drive them,
or pay for college with them....  And then, lately, I know a few piano
techs who have turned to driving school buses, or completely left the piano
field for those much needed benefits.

My dean does allow for me to be compensated for double hours (thanks to the
previous tech for putting his foot down) when Sunday work is required...
but in hours only...not pay.  I don't get overtime pay, just comp hours.
It's basically a salaried position, but hours are reported in order to
compute leave accumulation hours.  The advantage is that they can't require
me to work extra hours I'm not paid for.  Besides, we're on the honor
system and I keep up with my own hours, anyway.  Another thing I can thank
the previous tech for is insisting on stable, consistent hours.  It's
pretty much 7:30 until 4:00, day in, day out, and rare weekend appearances.
I can then go out and service pianos outside for extra money.  Some places
don't allow that, I think.

What I like most about the institutional position is that the customer
can't tell you, "I think the piano is fine...besides I can't afford to have
it tuned (regulated/voiced/repaired, etc.) right now."  You really have the
opportunity to bring out more of each piano's potential...that is, if you
can get to them.  You also don't have to drive 117 miles in a day to be
able to get in 4 or 5 jobs.  That's worth a lot.  (And another thing is
that there are no cheap old spinets to deal with!)

I know I'll never get rich at this, but I also know that I'll never have to
worry about where that next client will come from, or medical bills, or
retirement (it makes tax-time easier to deal with, too).  So, it's not such
a bad deal...

Jeff

>Hi Jeff,
>          I would love to know how they would define average?  CAUT techs
>are far from average, in fact, with out being an egotist, I would say they
>would form the top 10% of techs,
>  AS highly skilled trades persons, the minimum that they should get paid
>,should be the same as the unionized power electricians on campus, plus
>double time for those Sunday concerts. But good luck trying to get it.
>  Fortunately I'm on contract, and they know I don't need the income, so
>the re numeration is fair with no aggravation.
>Just an observation
>Roger

s.

>Roger Jolly