Estimating value of Inventory

Wed Dec 9 10:50 MST 1998

Jeff,
At 10:44 12/9/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Dear list,
>I have recently been given a task which is NOT in my job description.  The
>process has gone through changes here in recent years with the elimination
>of the whole department which keeps track of inventory value.  I am the new
>guy and can't find any files which may have been kept by the previous tech
>to go by.

So is there anybody on this list who hasn't had to do things which aren't
spelled out in their contract?????

I had to rationalize my own existance by number crunching just like you.
As I recall, I gave them two numbers. Replacement and market value.

The ones by current mfgrs were easy, just find out current prices of
current/equivalent models.

Defunct makes called for creative assessment to determine equivalent
current make/model.  What really _is_ equivalent to 1918 Mehlin 6'4"??!?
Or an 1889 Chickering 6'4". Or 1876 Haines square...

Current value is up to even more conjecture. If you aren't familiar with
the local market conditions, (like me) have a heart to heart with a local
dealer for rough depreciation schedule.  Also, Larry Fine has a "ballpark
range" chart in "The Piano Book".

Conrad Hoffsommer - mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu

         Certified Calibration Technician (CCT) of
   Biopowered Digitally Activated Tone Generation Systems
"If you have to plug it in, or you can't watch how it works,
                I don't work on it."