Back checks

Paul E. Dempsey dempsey@ramlink.net
Wed Jun 25 21:03 MDT 1997

>I am rebuilding the action on one of our "Ds" this Summer.  Does anyone
>have a favorite (or more likely a least-unfavorite) way to remove back
>checks and wires?  Steinway intends for them to stay put I guess.
>Removing them without breaking off the little shoe is prefered!
>
>Any and all ideas appreciated.
>
>dave porrit

Dave,

Use as small vise and a claw hammer. Open the jaw of the vise about
1/8".... just enough room for the back check wire to slip through with the
end of the key under the jaws and the back check sticking out above. Remove
back check as you would remove a nail.

Most of the time the end cap remains intact. Unfortunatly, sometimes the
back check head will come off the wire but the wire will remain firmly in
place.

If the wires are that stubborn, maybe a better option is to refelt and
releather.

Good Luck

Paul E. Dempsey
Piano Tuner/Technician