[pianotech] Totally glueless

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Thu Jan 31 07:05:41 MST 2013

Ron writes:
People have an absolute genius for complicating anything and everything
and feel compelled to invent detailed explanations whether they have
any facts or logic to work with or not. It's intuitive, instinctive,
and fundamentally irrational. It's also nearly universal. "I've heard",
"I was taught", "I believe", "it's obvious", "simply", and "stands to
reason" are the enemies. Innate contradictions like the glue joint
blocking sound, while a loose joint not passing vibrations because
there was no glue with the screws, should be questioned.>>

  Ok,  a question, then.  Do you glue your bridges to the soundboard,
and if so, why?  I don't think a pair of screws couples the bridge
adequately to the soundboard, either mechanically or acoustically, but
if there are reasons why that coupling isn't worth questions, I would
love to hear them.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
http://www.piano-tuners.org/edfoote/well_tempered_piano.html