[pianotech] Totally glueless

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jan 30 21:05:42 MST 2013

On 1/30/2013 8:41 PM, Terry Farrell wrote:
> Good Grief! Common sense?????  I always wonder with polite
> questioning in my mind when I hear tech talk about transmissions and
> vibrations shooting this way and that way - along bridges, along
> ribs, etc., etc.
>
> The theory that "strings move the bridge and the bridge moves the
> soundboard" is the only thing that makes any sense to me. Why else do
> we have "vibrations" zinging this way and that, through this
> structure and that, bla, bla, bla. And then there is conversation
> about the rim - vibrations reflecting off the rim and back into the
> field of music (somewhere in the soundboard). What's that all about?
> I suspect it has some origin in the "sound collector"........
>
> :-(
>
> Terry Farrell

I've explained this on list three or four times already, but it's
something that needs to be looked at realistically, so I'll take yet
another pass at the windmill in hopes that someone will get it.

Look up the speed of sound in maple. you'll find something around 14,000
feet per second along the fiber, and something in the 4000 fps range
across grain, give or take depending on grain orientation. Okay, so pick
a note, say A-440. In 0.00227 seconds (1/440), the string completes one
cycle at the fundamental. In that time, the impulse of the push of the
string on the bridge will travel approximately 0.9 feet down through the
bridge, which puts it half way to the floor and clear out of the piano
before the next cycle even starts. In other words, no vibration, but a
slow push followed by a slow pull. Along the bridge, that impulse will
travel about 32 feet, which again puts it well outside the piano before
the 440 string even completes one cycle. Adjust the frequencies to those
found in the bass, and the concept of vibrations in the bridge gets as
distant as the numbers generated. Once the initial pulse moves the
bridge, the bridge, by moving, moves all the other strings attached to
it. It also moves the soundboard, which moves the other bridge and all
the rest of the strings. The complexity of the result comes from the
interaction of all the moving strings and how they collectively push and
pull on the bridge at a huge number of different frequencies, not from
little vibrations in the bridge turning corners and reflecting off of
glue joints or bouncing around in the bottom of the hole under an
un-seated bridge pin. This doesn't make the whole thing predictable in
great detail any more than speculating on what the molecules are doing,
but I think it's a far more rational description of the basic action.

People have an absolute genius for complicating anything and everything
and feel compelled to invent detailed explanations whether they have any
facts or logic to work with or not. It's intuitive, instinctive, and
fundamentally irrational. It's also nearly universal. "I've heard", "I
was taught", "I believe", "it's obvious", "simply", and "stands to
reason" are the enemies. Innate contradictions like the glue joint
blocking sound, while a loose joint not passing vibrations because there
was no glue with the screws, should be questioned. Bridge laminations
must be continuous through the length of the bridge is another one, when
it's been demonstrated by people building bridges with discontinuous
laminations with no apparent audible penalty.

That's the bare bones pitch so far, until a more sensible basic
explanation comes along.

Ron N