[pianotech] tuning grands left handed

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Fri Jan 25 18:26:30 MST 2013

Will and Ed,

Thanks so much for the left handed posts...

I tried again today. Besides the specific grand lefty advice, the
significant lowering of the pitch 10cents or so before starting  a slow
pull, let me dial in the nicest high treble I've done. Much of the rest
of the scale was faster and easier as well.

  I've been reluctant to move the pin this much, as it seemed the less
movement the closer the pin/string stay to their equilibrium point.
However, at least on this victim, where the pins had reasonable torque,
this seemed much faster and precise to get where I wanted to be. The
placement of the pin foot seems easier to read, as you can feel the
thing moving and still moving as you slow down and dial in the last
important cent or fraction of a cent. It also allows one to read the
best possible compromise easily when dealing with false beats.  Instead
of the high treble yo-yo as Will calls it, dropping pitch and coming
back up, maybe twice makes clear what will or will not be possible on
that note. This was true both lefty and righty.

Its a good day...I learned somethin'...yay!

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com