[pianotech] tuning grands left handed

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jan 24 09:10:22 MST 2013

On a grand I prefer to flex the pin down toward the string (from the 12:30 - 1:30 position) as I'm pulling the pitch up so the twisting of the pin doesn't move the pitch sharp.  As you let go of the pulling motion on the string you also release the downward pressure on the lever toward the string and the two forces counteract each other, the pitch stays where you hear it and if you are very clever you can leave the pin with just the slightest flex in the direction of the string counteracting the constant pull of the string and preventing any drift.

On an upright, tuning from the 12:30 - 1:00 position accomplishes the same thing without any purposeful flexing of the pin as the hammer has a 180 degree orientation when compared to a grand.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com