[pianotech] tuning grands left handed

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 24 07:30:03 MST 2013

Hi, Jim:
I like to keep the lever in the same line as the string.  Helps reduce the flagpoling, which affects pitch.  It's too hard to determine where to leave the pin if you've got pin bending and residual tension going on.  Especially in the agraffe section.  I use a 1:30 position in the treble section, which seems to work ok with the higher friction in the capo area.  Using a 3:00 position will give you the maximum flagpoling effect.  Hard to get a stable tuning, at least for me.
I'm a lefty, but I tune right handed.  Feels more natural to me.
My $.02
Paul McCloud
San Diego