[pianotech] Fwd: Ronsen hammer misconceptions -Was Hammer replacment suggestions

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Jan 23 16:54:25 MST 2013

My experience is a bit different.  I use Ronsen hammers frequently (all
types) and think very highly of them.  However, I would say that it is rare
that the upper end of the piano does not need hardening and often some in
the bass as well.  Of course, it depends on the type of felt.  VFG is,
perhaps, the one exception being firmer than the rest and I’ve used it
without having to harden at all.  The Bacon is the softest and I’ve never
(maybe once—exceptional case) not had to harden the entire set some though
out.  The Weickert has been the next step up and has, so far, always needed
some help, though less than the Bacon.  The Wurzen AA has been the next most
dense and arrives at an acceptable level in the midrange, though for some it
will want to come up.  The treble, however, has also needed some help with a
light lacquering on pretty much every piano that I’ve used it on.  There
have been some pianos where a different hammer choice was better given the
requirements of the scale/soundboard.   While it would seem that simply
using a different hammer type would solve the question variable density
requirements, each of the felts mentioned, Bacon, Weickert, Wurzen VFG goes
through a different process in the manufacturing of the sheet itself that
gives each a slightly different character.  While those differences may be
subtle they are nevertheless there.  A VFG hammer will not sound the same as
a Bacon Felt with lacquer in it.

I agree whole heartedly with your overall statement that the hammer that
requires the least amount of manipulation (up or down) is usually the best
choice for a variety of reasons.  While Ronsen makes a huge contribution to
this industry (and I fear the day that Ray retires), there will be times
when going outside the Ronsen family of hammers will be necessary, or at
least recommended in my view, to satisfy the particular needs of a given
piano.  At least that’s been my experience.  As mentioned previously, I
think (and agree) that sampling is the best way to determine the best fit.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

  Hi Terry
   Its usually the people who have only ancient experience with Ronsen
products who say the hammer is too soft. Boggles my mind. so...I wouldn't be
too quick to drink that cool-aid.
   For example...If you install Wurzen AA felt the sound may be too strident
as it is quite a firm felt. Needling will be required. Almost for sure no
hardeners required. Same with the  VFG felt from Germany
   Ronsen Piano Hammer/Ray Negron  can make a hammer from felt for almost
any density required and He or I can supply it.
   I'd be willing to send some samples to try? Just ask.