[pianotech] Fwd: Ronsen hammer misconceptions -Was Hammer replacment suggestions

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Jan 23 12:36:52 MST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Dale Erwin <erwinspiano at aol.com>
To: pianotech <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Wed, Jan 23, 2013 11:32 am
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Replacement Hammer Suggestions Baldwin Studio Upright

  Hi Terry
   Its usually the people who have only ancient experience with Ronsen products who say the hammer is too soft. Boggles my mind. so...I wouldn't be too quick to drink that cool-aid.
   For example...If you install Wurzen AA felt the sound may be too strident as it is quite a firm felt. Needling will be required. Almost for sure no hardeners required. Same with the  VFG felt from Germany
   Ronsen Piano Hammer/Ray Negron  can make a hammer from felt for almost any density required and He or I can supply it.
   I'd be willing to send some samples to try? Just ask.

  Every time the subject of Ronsen hammers comes up I am amazed(a bit frustrated) at the perpetual disinformation that is so prevalent, which ,  usually offered by someone who used the product 20 years ago when felt supplies were really crappy. It affected everyone's product.....yes, including Stwy and people still ordered and order their hammers.
  So please permit me to enclose an attachment of what felts are available and the difference in the characteristics. I won't include price lists and such

The Ronsen product turned around when Ray started using the VFG felt in 1994. Thats 19 years ago folks and this is when I began to use them after really dismal experiences with All the other makes that seem to come first on our lips. Proof that marketing is very effective

Anyway...The VFG felt is an instant music hammer usually requiring no lacquer. Very present and pleasing sound. Plays in quickly. And since then He's added 3 other high, high quality felts. The Bacon felt which Steinway still uses, & The Wurzen AA and the "Weickert special felt" Both made by Wurzen felt company in Germany. Two very different blends of felt.
If any thing here is not clear please ask me to make it so.

 FWIW...I am always available for questions & consultation. Always! I can often send samples & we also provide action parts and pre-hung hammers. Its what I do.
 ....And Please forgive me if this E-mail seem to direct.  Just ask Big AL. Just trying to set the record straight. ;)

Dale Erwin R.P.T.
Erwin's Piano Restoration Inc.
 Mason & Hamlin/Steinway/U.S. pianos
www.Erwinspiano.com
Phone: 209-577-8397

  From: Terry Farrell <mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com>

That's where my initial thinking was pointing me. Thanks.

Terry Farrell