[pianotech] measuring action ratios

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Jan 16 20:06:58 MST 2013

I use the number in combination with other formulas to determine an actual
strike weight curve target, what balance weight that will yield with what
front weight.   You can also use the number to determine how the action will
regulate, with what combination of dip and blow given standard let-off and
aftertouch.  You can also use the number to determine the strikeweight in
order to target the general level of inertia in the entire system (this is
what Darrell Fandrich and John Rhodes are presenting).   You also need the
number to determine what and how much to change in order to achieve the
action ratio you want if it's not right.  It's essential for accurately
diagnosing problem actions and how to fix them or modifying older actions
(if you decide to do that).

In a nutshell:

Lower ratios will accommodate heavier strikeweights but will regulate with
longer dip and blow (or both).

Higher ratios will require lower strikeweights and will regulate with
shorter dip and blow (or both).

Without knowing the action ratio you are really forced to do things either
by experimenting or simply based on past experience.  I find it an essential
number to have.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com