[pianotech] measuring action ratios

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Jan 16 18:21:02 MST 2013

Hi Joe
 I'm sure the archive are filled with our banter about this but here goes.
 A 6 to 1 ratio means for every mm of key movement the hammer moves a corresponding amount. SO lets say 6 mm of key movement equals 36 mm of hammer movement. That's the 6 to 1 were talking about. What one actually measures could be whatever the action says. In general the  ratios we find and are in the desirable range are between 5 to 1 and 6 to 1
Many action systems used a 6 to one ratio.ie Steinway for a century at least. What this means is that the system will only tolerate light weight hammers, and the regulation will require a shallow dip(,,370- .375/10 mm at the pin)  and a long blow distance.(1 7/8th /48 mm)If heavy hammers are applied to a system design at 6 to 1 the touch will become heavy. Installing leads to compensate only makes matters worse with increased inertia. Moving the knuckle from 15.75 to 16.5 or 17 will lower the ration. This allows for a bit more hammer weight to be carried with less leading and less inertia. The regulation will need to change as well. Shorter blow & a longer dip/key travel.
In many cases simply moving the knuckle will not yied my desired ration of 5.5. The next move is moving the capstan towards the balance rail to lower the ratio further.
 I'm sure others can elaborate and explain this better and more thoroughly and it can be more complex as David is pointing out. but....
  I think you get the idea.
Dale

Dale Erwin R.P.T.
Erwin's Piano Restoration Inc.