[pianotech] My Website

Richard W. Bushey rbushey4 at embarqmail.com
Wed Jan 16 17:36:13 MST 2013

One additional reason to not go "hog wild" with specialty fonts is that, to
my understanding, there are only a few families of fonts that are "web safe"
fonts, meaning that most browsers can view them properly.  I tried
downloading a new font that I used on my truck for advertising, but when I
went to use it on my website, I found that even though it viewed great on my
computer (because I had the font installed), that others were having issues
viewing it.  Their computer reverted to some other font, like Times New
Roman, or Arial, or something that it could deal with.

Someone more knowledgeable than I could correct me on this if I'm wrong, but
from what I understand, the person viewing your site must have the same font
installed on their computer for your page to view correctly as you designed
it. Times New Roman is likely to be installed on most if not all computers
and is likely one of the safest to use.  If I download a cool new font, or I
have a newer computer with nice neat new fonts on it...if I use one of those
for my website, then the person viewing my website must also have that font
installed on their computer already.  If they don't, then their computer has
to fall back on something else.  The problem with that is that every font
has different size and spacing issues, so when their computer converts it,
it may mess up all the formatting on the page and your website looks like
junk to them...text out of place, throws pictures out of line, etc, etc.
So, it is best....from what I've heard and experienced, to stick with pretty
common fonts that most everybody would have.

I personally have used Arial for all sites I've build and have not had
issues....that I know of anyway.

The following is from a webpage I found that describes this.

================

http://webdesign.about.com/od/fonts/qt/web-safe-fonts.htm
If you are trying to create a website with fonts that appear on a large
percentage of computers, then you need to use a "web safe font". While there
are only a few fonts that are found on virtually every computer out there,
if you use these fonts in your font stacks, your web pages will look
correct.

Sans Serif Web Safe Fonts
Here are your best bets for sans serif fonts. If you include these in your
font stacks, most people will see the page correctly.

  a.. Arial
  b.. Arial Black
  c.. Tahoma
  d.. Trebuchet MS
  e.. Verdana
And some other choices that will give you good coverage, but might miss some
computers, so include a more common one as a backup in your font stack.

  a.. Century Gothic
  b.. Geneva
  c.. Lucida
  d.. Lucida Sans
  e.. Lucida Grande
Serif Web Safe Fonts
Here are some of your best bets for serif fonts.

  a.. Courier
  b.. Courier New
  c.. Georgia
  d.. Times
  e.. Times New Roman
And here are some other choices that will give you some coverage, but you
should include a more common one as a backup.

  a.. MS Serif
  b.. New York
  c.. Palatino
  d.. Palatino Linotype
Monospace Fonts
There are not as many monospace fonts that have wide acceptance across
platforms. These are your best bets:

  a.. Courier
  b.. Courier New
And these fonts have some coverage.

  a.. Lucida Console
  b.. Monaco
Cursive and Fantasy Fonts
There is only one cursive font that is available on Windows and Macintosh,
but not on Linux: Comic Sans MS. There are no fantasy fonts that have good
coverage across browsers and operating systems.

Smart Phones and Mobile Devices
If you are designing pages for mobile devices, you have even fewer choices.
I could find no common fonts for Android devices - instead you should use
the @font-face tag to import the fonts you want to use. And for iPhone,
iPod, and iPad devices, the common fonts include:

  a.. Arial
  b.. Courier
  c.. Courier New
  d.. Georgia