[pianotech] RPT

Avery Todd ptuner1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 07:24:55 MST 2013

Marshall,

I'm not familiar with the situation in your area at all, but have you
considered the possibility of hooking up with a store which takes older
pianos in on trade, reconditions and re-sells them? Maybe with someone
already doing that work that you could help and learn more from.

Back in the "dark ages" when I first began, this was one of the few ways to
actually get some help. I was lucky enough to get with a very active
Baldwin dealer who also was a tech and in addition, had another one who
worked out of that store. I was able to learn a lot of things by working on
those older pianos, plus if I had a problem, I had access to two techs who
could show/help me do whatever was needed. As a bonus, there were also
plenty of new pianos around on which to hone my tuning skills. At that
time, I didn't really need the money so I agreed to work for free in order
to learn until such time as he thought I was worth being paid for my work.
That happened, too. I was eventually even sent out to a university to tune
for a concert to see if I could satisfy them so they would stop calling the
dealer to tune for recitals and concerts. (They didn't really like the
other tuner's work & the dealer didn't really want to do it, anyway.) It
was a godsend to me at that particular time in my career.

I realize in your case, that in you wouldn't be able to do that every day.
But just another one of many possibilites. Best of luck to you.

Avery Todd, RPT
Houston, TX