[pianotech] PTG chapter/piano teacher's meeting ideas

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Mon Jan 14 12:05:31 MST 2013

Wim writes:

>>Not to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but when I was in St. Louis
and also here in Hawaii, the piano teachers just don't seem to want to
hear from us. In St. Louis, the first time I called the president to
set up a date to give a presentation, I was told that the schedule for
the year was already set
Subject: [pianotech] PTG chapter/piano teacher's meeting ideas<<

Greetings,
   Well, Wim, that is putting a damper on it, which is shame, since
enthusiasm is one of the most marketable possessions we own. Customers
respond to it, ennui finds no home in it, and the blues stay away as
long as you got it.  The reasons for your experience may not be the
piano teachers in your area. It could have been their perception of
what you were offering, which means you had a part in how things went,
too.

      Piano teachers are interested in how to reduce the cost of the
machine they are using, first and foremost. They have to spend money on
us whether they like it or not, so it may be attractive to present the
meeting as aimed at reducing costs, avoiding pitfalls, and how to make
things last as long as possible. Questions of voicing, stretch,
regulation,  or (gasp), temperament, are trampled underneath
considerations of the best time of year to tune, how long should it
last,are the pins holding and is the soundboard cracked.
     Appeal to their self-interest, first. Avoid coming on like a sales
pitch for services and find that balance in which you can create a
market without selling them anything.  You want them to view piano work
as an investment, even though  it can easily feel like an expense.  If
you are capable, confident, AND enthusiastic, maintenance will
automatically sell itself to an educated piano teacher.
Regards,
 Ed Foote RPT
http://www.piano-tuners.org/edfoote/well_tempered_piano.html