[pianotech] PTG chapter/piano teacher's meeting ideas

Richard W. Bushey rbushey4 at embarqmail.com
Mon Jan 14 12:05:17 MST 2013

Wim,

Thanks for the response. My first experience with the PTG was when I became a member of the St. Louis chapter, back in the late 90's for just a couple years before I moved here.  As I recall, we met in your shop quite often for chapter meetings or to work on a grand rebuild that the chapter was working on at the time.  Anyway, I appreciate yourself, David Porter, and others that made me feel welcome, even though I was VERY green!  Chapter meetings were, and continue to be very important for me in my growth as a technician. Anyway, that's beside the point.

You mentioned St. Louis. I was just starting out in the business then, so I was largly unaware of "the bigger picture" and the musical culture of St. Louis, specifically the relationship (or lack thereof) between techs and teachers there, but I faintly remember from talking with other techs there that had been around much longer than I that that was typically the case.  I kind of assumed that it was either an isolated case (just the way people were in St. Louis), or something maybe typical of big cities, but it sounds like you're saying that it's generally that way.  It would only seem natural that teachers would want to have a great relationship with their techs, and visa-versa, since they have many students who could benefit from well serviced instruments, and we definitely appreciate their business and referrals.

I haven't noticed a "dislike" or other such attitude from piano teachers towards us around my parts, however, I am quite surprised at the lack of communication, referrals, tunings, etc. from them. Some teachers even have pretty crummy pianos themselves, and have them tuned less than some of their students.  One or two use digitals so they don't ever have to pay for tunings...go figure.

Not to open a HUGE can of worms, but any thoughts on why the disconnect?  Do other chapters notice this?  What, if anything, can we do about it to change the tide?

Back to our situation, our chapter president has already spoken with the MPTA president and from what I understand, there was interest...of some sort, anyway.  I did remember, since my last post, about all the links on the ptg.org site for students and teachers, the learning center, tips on the special care and maintenance of the teacher's piano, etc. so that is a good place to start.  I have a projector, so with a laptop and internet connection, we could show and demonstrate some of those links.  I will contact Kathy at home office anyway for additional info.  It may or may not fly, but I'm curious to know if it could, and if not...why.

Still open to other's ideas and experiences if you care to share.

Thanks.

Richard W. Bushey
Richard's Piano Service
www.RichardsPianoService.com