[pianotech] tuning without stripping

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jan 13 10:45:33 MST 2013

On 1/12/2013 6:24 PM, tnrwim at aol.com wrote:

>  From that day on I stopped stripping the piano. Not only did it take 10
> minutes off my tuning time, but my unisons were much better, and the
> piano was much more stable. I now even do a pitch raise without a strip
> mute. But what's so ironic, I now actually take longer to tune, because
> after I use my SAT, I retune the piano aurally, again only using
> mutes. I think it has made me a much better tuner.

So you saved ten minutes by not strip muting, but you take longer to
tune because you tune aurally after you tune with your SAT. Yea, makes
perfect sense. Why don't you just tune aurally in the first place and
save a whole bunch of time?

> For those of you "old timers" who say your too old to change,

Whoever THEY are. And it's "you're", not your.

Personally, I strip mute the entire piano because I like it and it
works. I used to tune from the temperament octave down, and up, chasing
a mute. Then one day I decided to try strip muting everything. My tuning
got both better and faster as a result and though a lot of details have
changed, I've stayed with the strip mutes because it continues to work
for me.
Ron N