[pianotech] tuning without stripping

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Sat Jan 12 17:24:06 MST 2013

Why are some of you still stripping the piano when you tune? I used to do that too, until about 10 years ago. At the time I was at the university, and on every piano, especially the ones I did on a very regular basis, and using an SAT, I would strip, tune, and then check my tuning using rubber mutes. One day I was in a hurry and went straight to checking my tuning using only the mutes. But something didn't check, so I turned on my SAT, and using only rubber mutes, I tuned the piano, starting at the first note in the treble. I then checked my tuning and made minor corrections, again, only using the mutes.

>From that day on I stopped stripping the piano. Not only did it take 10 minutes off my tuning time, but my unisons were much better, and the piano was much more stable. I now even do a pitch raise without a strip mute. But what's so ironic, I now actually take longer to tune, because after I use my SAT, I retune the piano aurally, again only using mutes. I think it has made me a much better tuner.

For those of you "old timers" who say your too old to change, I had been tuning for 25 years before I changed. So try it. I think you'll like it

Wim