[pianotech] Pinblock Separation

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jan 12 09:42:44 MST 2013

Theoretically, the tension does not have to be let down. However, it is possible that the piano has been getting pitch raises every time it's been tuned since the crack has been developing. IMHO, it is best to let the pitch down - unless perhaps the crack is small and the pitch is already a bit low. Just be careful!

Also, if possible, sink all or most through bolts into a backpost for the most effective repair.

Terry Farrell